– Obsessional behaviour might be also be seen in terms of a need to be clean and tidy or even hoarding.
There are a number of effects on your health which of course will depend on the extent and duration of your under-eating.
Heart and Circulation
– Heart muscle is lost, blood pressure and pulse drop. There is a risk of heart beat irregularities.
Sex Hormones and Fertility
- – Hormonal function is affected as all non-essential processes are stopped to preserve energy.
- – Cessation of menstrual periods may result in infertility.
- – A loss of sex drive is experienced and responsiveness is affected.Bones, muscles and joints
– There is a reduction in bone strength and an increased risk of osteoporosis and fractures. The Muscles weaken and joints become swollen
Mouth and Throat
-The throat becomes sore and irritated,
– The Oesophagus can tear and rupture. Reflux is also much more likely
– The mouth often develops ulcers and the tooth enamel decays along with more cavities
- – The gut slows right down as the body attempts to exact energy from the limited food sources.
- – Food in the stomach takes much longer than usual to pass into the small intestine which is why anuncomfortable sensation of fullness is experienced even after eating very little.
- – Taste may be affected and you may feel persistent gnawing hunger as your body and mind compelyou to eat.Heart
- – Low blood pressure, Slower heart rate, Palpitations/ irregular heartbeatMuscles
– Your muscles will waste and weakness could result; especially noticeable when walking upstairs or attempting to get up from a sitting or squatting position.
Skin and Hair
- – A downy hair covering can start to grow on the face, forearms, back and abdomen.
- – You may lose hair from your scalp.
- – Often skin becomes dry and may have an orange hue.Temperature regulation
– People often feel profoundly cold due to a reduction in body temperature.