With much talk about how mental health and social support is needed in the news and media, yet little frontline support, there is clearly a massive need to take action. Alan Hayes and Marcus Walters qualified therapists from Therapy Partners came up with the idea of a support group/movement for men – Men 2.
Why? Because the facts are shocking!
In the UK, the highest suicide rate was for men aged 45-49
In the UK, men are three times as likely to take their own lives than women
Suicide is still the single biggest killer of young British men
What makes Men 2 different?
- Facilitated by professionally qualified and trained therapists experienced in running therapeutic groups
- Run by men, for men
- Mental Health First Aid experts
- People with first-hand experience of similar challenges
- Passionate about enabling men to have their voice heard in a safe environment
- Educational, practical talks on subjects including relationships, addiction, mental health, domestic violence and self-esteem
Who is men 2 for?
We encourage any men who have experienced mental health issues or are facing or have faced challenges to attend, whether it be to share their stories, inspire others, or to get out of the house and socialise with like-minded people. With our uncertain times its important fot men 2 Talk.
Men are all too often taught we don’t talk, we don’t want to drop our mask and let people know our fears and problems, we often suppress emotions, we become someone who we don’t even know.
We want local communities to break this cycle, to encourage men that it’s OK to talk, to let our fellow men know we are here and we are in this together. All it takes is 2 Men to start a conversation.